WHO SHE IS
Yuting Chen is a cross-disciplinary designer with an architectural and new media art background in China. She is interested in immersive performance and pneumatic installations.
She completed her studies at Nanjing University of Science and Technology (BA), Columbia University (Architecture Program Exchange), and Kings College London (Media, Art and Culture Summer Program). She has graduated with distinction in a cross-disciplinary master program in architecture and interaction at the Bartlett, UCL.
She has worked in architectural studios in both Shanghai and Nanjing, served as an assistant curator and assistant architect. She practiced for one year as a professional space and interaction designer in Blackbow Creative Design Institution, a renowned media production company in Beijing, mainly focused on installation design, immersive performance, and exhibitions.
- University College London
09/ 2019 - 12/2021
Graduate with distinction.
Master in Architecture Department, Design for Performance and Interaction
- Nanjing University of Science and Technology
09/ 2015 - 06/ 2019
B.A in Environmental Design
· GPA 3.8 School Special Scholarship, School First Scholarship
· 2 published essays：
Yuting Chen. Inheritance and Design of Architectural Decoration Culture in Nanjing Republic of China[J]. Furniture and interiors. 2018
Ying Cao, Yuting Chen. Study on the Inheritance Design System of Traditional Architectural Decoration Culture Genes in Sunan[J].Design, 2018（19）
- Columbia University in the city of New York
09/ 2017 - 01/ 2018
Exchange Program, Architecture Department
· Completed 4 core courses and 2 essays.
· Design work presented in the 2017 Year show
- Metaverse R&D Designer - Fab-Union
07/2022 - present
· Independently participated in the curating, landing and operating of online and offline exhibitions, and completed six exhibitions. Among them, an exhibition themed on the Phygital Twin was exhibited at the West Bund Art and Design Fair, one of the most influential art festivals in Asia.
· Explored projects in all scales ranging from practical, sustainable architecture to parametric designs and prototyping ideas.
- Space Designer in Blackbow Creative Design Institution
11/2020 - 06/2021
· Deeply involved in Beijing Temple( Dong Jing yuan) immersive night show, including concept development and installation design, performance management.
· Participated in the planning and landing of immersive shows and exhibitions in Luoyang Dahehui. Participated in the design and curation of interactive installations for Glow Shenzhen 2020 (city light festival).
· Participated in the design and planning of the immersive game center for Tencent.
- Participated Artist at Tate Britain
· Worked as a participated artist in ‘Late at Tate Britain Bauhaus Recoded Event’ as a member of Interactive Architecture Lab, Bartlett, UCL.
- Architecture Intern in Update Studio
01/2019 - 03/2019
· Participated in Project planning for OFF-ESC pop-up series exhibition （Site Research /3D Modelling/ Physical Modelling/ 2D Drawings/ Renders ) and drawing a detailed construction plan (completed with construction designer).
· Participated in the design of the Dolphin Children’s Bookstore project (Site Research/ Manage client needs and communicate with the design team / 3D Modelling / Physical Modelling /2D Drawings/ Renders). The project finally landed in Wuhan.
- Exhibition Design and Research Intern in Deji Art Museum
10/2018 - 12/2018
· Participated in curating exhibition affairs since the early stage for Physics of Chenqi, including designing the size of the 8-sided exhibition wall in the exhibition area of 1200 square meters, according to the specific requirements of the curator's concept map.
· Organised public education activities and served as the primary speaker.
- Architecture Intern in Wuxi Construction Design Research Institute Co., Ltd.
06/2017 - 08/2017
· Participated in design team responsible of Taihu New City Neighbourhood Center, China, construction starting 2017.
· Contributed to designing renewed commercial planning, commercial block design and scheming ceiling details in the complex (3D Modelling/ Physical Modelling/ 2D Drawings/ Renders).
· Organised Brochures for the clients (3D Modelling/ 2D Drawings/ Renders)
AWARDS & EXHIBITIONS
06/ 2017 Shortlisted in New Star Design Awards international competition.
06/ 2018 Won first prize in Jiangsu Province in National College Student Art Exhibition.
03/ 2019 Outstanding student in Cinematic Interpretation of Spatiality: A
Workshop and Symposium held by the architecture department of
Nanjing University and Cambridge University.
Team project exhibited in Naxing Gallery, Shanghai.
11/ 2019 Team project exhibited at ‘Late at Tate Britain Bauhaus Recoded Event’
as a member of Interactive Architecture Lab, Bartlett, UCL.
08/ 2020 Outstanding student in Shanghai Space installations and Material
Exploration International Exhibition held by Tongji University.
Two team projects got exhibited in Yi Feng Galleria, Shanghai.
09/ 2020 Solo online exhibited in J.Ran Space, Shanghai.
06/ 2021 Shortlisted in Youth Technology and Art Support Program held by Raiden INST.
06/ 2021 Team project First, light exhibited in Aranya Theatre Festival, 300 Migrator birds.
Modelling：Autocad / Rhinoceros (V-ray) / Sketch Up /
Fusion 360 / Keyshot/ Cinema 4D
Visual： Adobe Station (Photoshop / Illustrator / In-design / Premiere / Flash)
Programming：Blender/ Processing/ P5.js / Runway Machine learning /
Unity / Unreal Engine/ Touchdesigner
Mandarin Chinese (Native)/ English（Fluent）